Monday, September 3, 2012

(And Let It Be)


Once I get to Honduras (16 days from now!) I’ll be staying in San Pedro Sula, one of the major cities in Honduras. There is a girls transient home where 7-8 teenage girls live that I will get to stay at. I’m super excited about this because of the opportunity I will have to build relationships with these girls who have had a tough life and having the opportunity to not only pour into them but to learn from them while I am with them.

I will spend a lot of my time at the girls transition home where they are working towards a traditional and vocational education. Many of the girls have suffered from emotional and physical abuse in their past. With my background in sociology and women’s and gender studies I will hopefully be involved in developing classes and discussions about parenting skills, domestic violence, self-esteem, women’s rights, and women’s health, among other things.  I will also have the opportunity to help these girls with their English and math homework as well as lead devotionals and Bible studies with them each night. There is also a community transition center (CTC), Las Brisas, which is located in an area of extreme poverty making the community vulnerable to numerous diseases and social problems. Las Brisas supports 85 children through a scholarship and snack
program at their school. I will likely be involved with the children and their families, strengthening the relationship between the CTC and the participating familes as well as being involved in other parts of the community. Lastly there is an orphanage (that I mentioned in my last blog) called Nueva Esperanza for younger kids (babies-12 years of age) where I will have the opportunity to spend time with the children and coordinate different activities for them.

If you would like to be involved somehow, first and foremost I ask that you cover me in prayer while I am gone, constantly. Pray for me and for my safety as I travel and as I live in a foreign country. Pray that my Spanish would improve quickly and that I would not allow Satan to use language as a hindrance. Pray also for the students and families that I will have the privilege of meeting and interacting with, that God will work through the relationships I establish. Pray that every encounter I have with one of these precious people will be a chance to further the Kingdom. Pray that I will have the boldness to share the Word of God boldly, fearlessly, and constantly. Romans 1:16 tells us “For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes.” Pray that all of my actions and all of my words would be glorifying to God; pointing people to Him. Pray also that God would use this time in my life to teach me and grow me in whatever way He wants to, that I would daily look more like Him.

Another way that you can be involved in my journey is by supporting me financially. To go to Honduras and stay there for as long as I feel God has led me, I need to raise $2,000 in one time fees and $1,500 for every month I am there. This will cover all of my living expenses as well as mission opportunities I will have with my kids. As a recent college graduate this a huge amount of money that I don’t have, but I am confident that God will provide it through many avenues. Perhaps you and your family will be one of them. I ask that you prayerfully consider supporting me financially while I am gone. After praying, considering, and discussing this last option, if you feel called by the Lord to support me in that way I ask that you send any donations to:
Buckner Missions      
5200 S. Buckner Blvd.
            Dallas, TX 75227       
All checks should be made out to Buckner with my trip code (HO12-LT01) in the subject line. You can also make donations online at https://donate.bucknerfoundation.org/SSLPage.aspx?pid=246&frcrld-1 I am truly grateful for any amount given in support of the Lord’s work and for your ability to cover me in prayer. Thank you for supporting me and the Lord’s calling at this special time in my life.  I am blessed to be surrounded by so many people in my life that love and have a desire to server the Lord like I do. Thank you for your love, prayer, and support!

Thanks and gig ‘em.
Peace, love, and pursue Jesus.

Kellie

No comments:

Post a Comment