Monday, November 19, 2012

Never Alone


First, I would like to apologize for the lack of blogging and updates. I think its safe to say blogging is not my thing. But don’t worry I’ll keep blogging because my sisters said I had to (they’re kinda bossy like that).

So, this past week was a little different for a few reasons. First, I had a different translator with me instead of my sweet Giselle. She was wonderful but it was a little bit of an adjustment to not be with my friend. Second, in the afternoon instead of teaching English to the kids at the CTC I taught English to the moms of the kids at the CTC. Third, my dad was in the hospital all of last week and its not every week your dad is hanging out in the hospital and having surgery (back to that in a second).

Teaching English to the moms at the CTC had me extremely nervous (you can ask my parents) I had no idea what to teach them or how to approach teaching a group of people older than me because its something I am definitely not used to doing. I could teach kids all day long but adults, well that’s a little bit different. Thankfully, God calmed my nerves and worries from pretty much the first second I walked into the classroom with all of the moms. I decided it was best to start from the beginning and learn simple phrases like, “Hello, what is your name?” and “How are you?” It wound up being a really wonderful time to interact with the moms. They were all so sweet to me and thankful that I was there to help them learn English. I’m looking forward to getting to spend more time with them while I am here.

Okay, now back to my dad situation. I’ll give yall a quick summary for those of you that are not aware of what has been going on recently. My dad was sick on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday with what they thought was a stomach virus and he got super dehydrated causing his pacemaker to go off and shock him seven times early Friday morning. Apparently this feels like having an elephant kick your chest, but I wouldn’t know for sure because, well, I don’t actually have my own pacemaker (although I’ve asked my dad if can get one to survive some of the Texas A&M football games I have to sit through) and I’ve never actually had an elephant walk on my chest. So, my dad called 911 and they took him to the hospital, they found out he had an infection in his blood but an unusual one (of course my father can’t make things easy). A few days and tests later they found out it was a problem with his gallbladder and that he would need to have it removed. Thursday my dad had surgery and he went home Friday after a long week in the hospital. All of this (not so quick) summary to say I was worried about my dad. I spent the majority of the week physically present in the classroom with my students and moms or at the house with the girls but not at all emotionally or mentally present with them. This was not at all fair to them, but I more than anything just wanted to be in Texas with my family. After all, Lydia got to come home (and skip class, shame on her) to be with our family and I wanted to be there too, but not exactly an option. I was praying that God would have his hand of healing and strength over my dad and that He would calm my anxious heart. But seriously, the sinful, anxious, worrier part of me would have no part of that; on I went about my business of being anxious and worried about everything, constantly. God did however give me a beautiful, much needed reminder of his constant presence and faithfulness. I posted this on Facebook a few days ago, but I’ll post it here too.

“When your mind moves toward a problem area, you tend to focus on that situation so intensely that you lose sight of Me. You pit yourself against the difficulty as if you had to conquer it immediately…When a problem starts to overshadow your thoughts, bring this matter to Me. Talk with me about it and look at it in the light of My presence…You will always face trouble in this life. But more importantly, you will always have with you, helping you to handle whatever you encounter.” – Jesus Calling

“Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, O Lord.” Psalm 89:15


God is faithful, always. In the seemingly good and in the seemingly bad, He is always faithful and He is always present. He promises to walk with us through every situation and to help us overcome, all we have to do is turn to Him and allow Him to. God is constantly using situations to remind me of His faithfulness, His goodness, and His provision. There is no reason to fear or worry because I know who my God is.

The whole situation makes me think of one of my favorite songs: “Shadows” by David Crowder Band and Lecrae. Go listen to it, because it’s wonderful. I love the words. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al3VeFdkyHE

Prayer Requests:

Please pray for my focus; that my heart and my mind would be here in SPS not worrying about happenings at home. Pray that I would concentrate on walking with my Savior and that He would show me every opportunity to share Him.
Please pray for my dad’s continued healing and recovery after his surgery and stay in the hospital.
Please pray for my girls at the transition home. A few of them are moving out soon! Pray that they are prepared, that they have peace about the situation they are walking into, that they would trust God in every aspect of this transition. And pray that the time we spend together is fruitful, beneficial, and glorifying to God.
Please pray for the English class I teach in the morning and for the students I have been able to build relationships with, that those would continue and that they would see Jesus reflected.
Starting this week I am going to one of the orphanages every afternoon. Please pray that God would show me how He wants me to be involved here and what He has in store for Casitas. Most of all pray that these teenage girls would know the saving power and grace of Jesus Christ.
Please pray for my Spanish and its continued improvement. It is getting better, but sometimes it just makes my brain hurt, haha.

Thank you for your continued prayer and financial support. It is because of your faithfulness to pray and support me that I am able to be here.

If you would like to continue to support me financially, please go to the donation tab at www.buckner.org and enter my trip code, HO12-LT01.

Thanks and gig 'em.
Peace, love, and pursue Jesus!

Kellie 

No comments:

Post a Comment